Thursday, May 17, 2018

9. disagree

dear family,
let’s cut to the chase:

i’m gonna be me,
and that’s that,
won’t let anyone
try to say otherwise.
still not sure how
you feel about me
not wanting to be
entirely straight,
the bi-curious boy
facing the world,
but this is who
i want to be.
it’s not a phase,
it’s a feeling,
i’ll love who i want,
even if you judge.

i knew coming out
was gonna be tough,
first thing you’d ask,
“what does that mean?”
you don’t hear that
“bi-curious” phrase
all that much, huh?
bro still doesn’t quite
understand what it means,
even though he’s just fine
making jokes all about
my gaydar and bi-fi,
rather goof and jest
than educate himself.

but that’s none of my business.

what is my business
is that i get treated
the same as before,
with total respect
no matter who i
go on a date with
or bring home to you.
male, female, trans,
i’ll love who i love,
and nothing you say
will change my mind.
i know who i am,
i’m a bi-curious boy
and i’m damn proud,
and you should be too,
because as cliché as
it’s going to sound,
it still rings true,

love always wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment