Wednesday, August 11, 2021

4. illusion, part 1

like nothing i’ve ever seen,
swarms of people gathered here
to witness my first framed piece,
years i thought i’d wasted
made their way into this exhibit,
and so many are flocking to it,
whether or not it’s their favorite,
the fact that they came today
to celebrate a local like me,
i couldn’t believe it.

i cut my way to the front
to get a single shot
i can show to my mom,
i’ll tell her, “look, i made it!”
she’ll smile and squeeze
the life out of me, but first,
she’ll need to see it,
with my hood up,
i say “excuse me,”
and make my way through
this massive group,
chatterboxes that critique,
“who made this? it’s great!”

i make it to the front,
and there it is.

my beautiful illusion,
black and white circles
spin in succession,
just like the audience,
i’m somehow hypnotized
by my own work,
the optical games
at play,
i love how they
go off the page,
i didn’t think it’d work,
but they keep spinning
and i almost forgot
to capture it for mom,
good thing i got the video
before it pulled me in.

No comments:

Post a Comment