Tuesday, December 21, 2021

5. burn it down

take off the mask,
lose the suit, the shades,
wipe the makeup
from my face,
i can’t live
my life this way,
tired of playing
the fake,
all of this
for the sake
of entertainment?
can’t take it.
never felt more ready
to throw it all away,
no more pain,
i can’t go another day.

burn it all down.
watch the flame
take it all,
my highest blessing
and my biggest mistake,
i’ve stood on a lot
of stages,
but this is the greatest.
for the first time,
i feel like a star.
all the gasps,
the fear,
“is he crazy?”
i may be,
but suddenly,
i can really say
i’m comfortable.

if you want happiness,
prepare for bullshit.
life will gift you
with every kick
it can give,
but i’m tired
of getting hit,
i’ll get rid
of all this shit,
watch it combust,
“he threw his career away,”
i hear from behind,
and i just smile.
simultaneously,
i took a weight
off of my shoulders,
and i gave california
a nice parting gift.
so long,
and thanks for the torment.
let someone else
have my career.

i’m going home.

No comments:

Post a Comment