Friday, August 25, 2023

2. don't be famous

no paparazzi, please,
i’m tired of the lights,
been fighting
all my life
to get the flowers
while i’m here,
instead, they insist
on making me
invisible,
blink and you might miss,
still got
nothing but hits,
need more than
a few hands
to run through the list,
stuck in the quietness,
i did it all myself,
everything i could
to let the words live,
even when they all
tried to keep me
in silence.

i’m my own promo,
do it all myself,
always had to be
my own biggest fan,
just me
and the people
in my head,
put all my faith
in myself,
‘cause God’s as real
as apple pie
is canadian,
put me through the pain,
so i’m taking back
my name,
reclaiming the throne
as the poetry king,
writing what’s real
while the fakes
keep spinning the wheels.

these people whipped
to the system,
they’re chained,
and they’re slaving
tryna keep
the numbers raising,
but the ego’s
more fragile
than a glass house,
i saw what
the fame shit
turned ‘em into
and it’s sickening,
heads are inflating,
narcissists get caught up
in the numbers game,
trade humanity for clout,
decency for the bag,
accountability for views,
tryna climb aboard
the train,
but it’ll burst into flames,
ready to take it all
along the way.

don’t be famous

No comments:

Post a Comment