Friday, August 4, 2023

2. my last goodbyes

today i said
my last goodbyes,
no-show at the service,
empty seat in the crowd,
i was scared to be around,
all i wanted was
a minute alone
before they took you home,
your body laid
inside the open casket,
doesn’t even feel
like you’re gone,
seems like it’s just sleep,
any minute,
i’m expecting you to wake
with a smile on your face,
tell me all the ways
that it’ll be okay,
but reality takes over,
the ensuing pain,
fought back the tears
i was told to never cry,
you always tried
to break that stigma,
but i could never abide,
before he left,
he made me feel little,
you made me feel tall,
but now,
i feel nothing at all,
“son, it’s time for her to go,”
i leave the bouquet
that i know will only decay,
and watch them close it shut,
i almost wanna stop them,
because i don’t want you to go,
i wanna see your face,
i want you to wake up
and let me know
you’ll be here,
but all i can do
is let out my last words…

“i love you, mom.”

No comments:

Post a Comment