Friday, September 8, 2023

grateful

tell me
what i got
to be grateful for,
i’m alive
but i’m barely surviving,
just when i thought
i cleared my mind,
here comes ’23
tryna take me alive,
messing with my health
more than a couple times,
devil working double time,
and i gotta keep
pretending i’m fine
so i don’t worry them,
even though
i’m dying inside,
got me writing
the same thing
again and again,
when all i’m thinking of
is my friends
and where they went.

i got brothers
losing family,
it’s like i lost
a part of mine,
i got friends
working three jobs
and still can’t put
food on the table,
i got people
losing their homes,
and i can’t do
nothing about it,
buried in these
student loans,
dying to help
but i can’t even
help myself,
almost got eaten
by the machine,
now i can’t even
find peace
in my job security,
and i can’t do enough
to help the team.

i got love
ruining my mind again,
this is why
i tried
to avoid it
in the first place,
every time i fall,
i grow more depressed,
convinced they hate me
more by the day,
i’m trying to find a way,
but therapy
evades me,
every time i think
i’ve found it,
the business comes in
and leads me astray,
so i never have
the help i need
for long enough
to make a difference,
stuck figuring my shit out
on my own,
keep being told i’m strong,
but i’m exhausted,
dying for a break
that life can never provide.

so i ask one more time…
why should i be grateful?

No comments:

Post a Comment