Tuesday, September 5, 2023

the last 17 minutes of summer

one of the late nights
outside,
trying to enjoy
the last 17 minutes
of summer,
crickets chirping
as i search
across the night sky,
trying to find
some answers,
the clock strikes
midnight
and i say goodbye,
reminiscing on the few times
life felt right,
circle back to july,
holding on
to these memories
like i held on
to you that night,
so scared
to let myself feel it,
now i’m too scared
to ever say it,
but i didn’t want
to let go.

how can i expect her
to like me back
when i don’t even
like me back?
and how will i ruin it
like i do
all my friendships?
how will my way
of saying too much
come back around
to haunt me today?
i should just
go away,
i’m lost and i’m scared
and i’m so afraid
to disappoint,
i’m losing my mind
by the minute,
and the demons
i learned to quiet
are suddenly louder.

summer’s gone,
put it in the books,
i was on top
of the world
for a minute,
now i’m sinking,
never a good swimmer,
but i’m thrown
into the ocean,
trying to ride
the wave
when the water’s
around my chin,
let it crash
and wash me ashore,
i made it out,
but will i ever find
anything more?
pick myself up
and learn to walk again,
life leaves me unsure,
but maybe one day,
i'll be okay.

time to go back inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment