Wednesday, September 6, 2023

mr. positive

everybody telling me
that i need a break,
but if i take one,
my soul would break,
i’d be an even bigger
waste of space,
life would take me,
hustle culture’s
got me by the waist,
and now i’m falling
flat on my face,
overwhelmed by all
the emotions i face,
coming off the last record,
you would think
i wouldn’t have
anything left to make,
but i didn’t expect
to be back in this place,
loaded up on self-hate
and i got ‘em worried
for my mental state.

i’m not trying
to ignore what you say,
trust that i hear it,
i know i got people
that wanna see me win
but i can’t get
outta my own head,
i wanna get off
the internet
but i need it to live,
and now i got ‘em scared
i’m gonna hurt myself,
i promise i’m not,
i got enough on my plate,
tryna be a guardian
to someone older than me,
if you think i’ve got it bad,
he’s me times ten,
sometimes i don’t even know
who i’m talking to
when i look in his eyes,
or if he hears my advice,
tried to get him off the pen,
but he doesn’t listen,
turning into a therapist
when it’s me
that needs that shit,
it’s got me wishing
this life was different.

i miss being mr. positive,
peace, love and rockstar shit,
the wide-eyed kid
who hadn’t been hit by life yet,
the one that hadn’t been
existentialist,
mama used to tell me
people come back to life
after they die,
i think she just wanted
to help me sleep at night,
i miss being the kid
that thought family came first,
before i knew
what they’d really do,
then had to be told
i should love him
after all the disrespect,
i miss when i talked a lot
but didn’t say too much,
now i always feel like
i should never say shit.

i miss when i didn’t
have to worry
i’d be homeless,
when student loans
were words i didn’t know,
i miss when i didn’t
self-sabotage
every situation i got in,
i miss when i had
no idea what love was,
when i didn’t catch feelings
for someone i had
no chance with,
before the one
i thought i loved
took advantage,
and before i tore
the team apart
with my feelings for one,
peer-pressured to admit it,
now it’s feeling distant,
insist we’re still cool,
but i wish i could believe you.

did i say too much
just by writing this out?
too much time
trying to offer help
when i need it myself,
but the search
only gets worse
because the industry sucks,
they’d rather see
depressives die
than improve their lives,
treat therapy like a luxury
and not a right,
this world is fucked
no matter where you turn,
survival of the fittest,
and i’ve been through it,
but i’m still here,
out of breath
but i’m still running,
out of energy
but i’m still fighting,
it’s all i’ve known how to do,
so i’ll just do it.

i’ll be good one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment