Tuesday, August 13, 2024

11. before your eyes (bonus track)

the days move slow
but life goes fast,
blink
and it’ll be gone
in an instant,
facing down
my ultimate fate
but as i reach
the gate,
i’m afraid
to say
what really happened,
try to make
an adventure
of some grand nature
out of my life,
but i’m caught
in the lie,
never got to live out
my dreams
because i spent
the days
just trying to survive.

i thought the sickness
wouldn’t stick
until i had to let
the IV drip,
taking medicine
that barely did
a thing,
and soon enough,
my time was up,
mama wanted a legacy
but i wasn’t
the piano prodigy
she hoped i’d be,
never got to live
the artist’s life,
or get old enough
to make chloe my wife,
you were my
first love,
and i gave it all up
just to be with you.

tried to repress
all the pain,
but as i greet
the gatekeeper,
i know i can’t,
it’s time to take
the weight off,
let go of regret
and tell how
it really went,
brought to my end
too quick,
but my love
lives on
in the ones around me,
it’s not much
of a life,
but i know
that i lived it,
wasn’t who i thought
i’d be,
but i was who
i needed to be,
and as i close my eyes
one last time,
i’m finally at peace.

benny.

No comments:

Post a Comment