Tuesday, August 13, 2024

7. the boogeyman

i was burdened
by my sensitivity,
people never saw
how much i took to heart,
how lost i was
because all i thought of
was everyone else,
only found comfort
when i was sleeping,
even as loud
as my head was,
the dream world
was so peaceful,
laying in the river
as i float away,
even as i stare up
at the night sky,
yoko’s got it feeling
like a lazy afternoon,
as i spend another day
trying to get back up,
long time to recover
from the pain i faced.

i destroyed myself,
but it was wonderful,
lost my way
because i was running
with the wrong ones,
they built me up
to rip my confidence,
what a beautiful thing
being at the bottom,
stuck playing the person i’m not
to please someone
i’ve got no business
being with,
exiled myself
and drank my sorrows away,
only got to escape
when i was digging dirt
or working the fireplace,
i really became
the boogeyman,
no one dared face me
for fear of what
my sharp tongue
was capable of,
but the wins were hollow
when they couldn’t
be shared,
because who’d fall
for the boogeyman?

there’s gotta be
somebody out there
for me,
seen too many
that weren’t meant to be,
people leaving warnings
that i was ignoring,
date nights
i wasn’t enjoying,
thought i could see
past the toxicity,
i was obsessed
with the idea of you
but not the real you,
talking loads
in the uber
but i didn’t need
hollywood blvd
to know you weren’t the one,
no doubt, i needed
my sweet escape,
this city’s not for me,
someone toss me the keys
and let me ride,
no idea where i’m going
but i know that
all roads eventually
lead home.

bring me back to brighton.

No comments:

Post a Comment