Tuesday, August 13, 2024

9. life of the party

packed to the nines
and i’m dying inside,
telling myself
that i should’ve
never came
to this tonight,
thought i could
shut the world out
for a few hours,
but i’m just retreating
back to my shell,
it’s loud
and i’m lost,
barely even hear
my own thoughts,
and all this noise
around me
got me ready
to take my leave,
quietly sneak
to the exit
and pretend
i was never here.

but right before
i can go,
you drop by
and get me
onto my feet,
“may i have this dance?”
take me
by the hand,
and suddenly,
i’m a new man,
everything else
is shut out
because i have
you around,
got me glad
i showed up
to this party
in the first place,
you made me
erase
all my inhibitions
and finally,
i can live
a little bit.

i’m in awe
of your confidence,
showing me a side
of you
i’ve never seen before,
the club
got you feeling
like yourself,
and i love
that you’re not afraid
to do it your way,
not afraid
of what anyone
would say,
let ‘em think
what they want,
judge how they must,
won’t stop you
from having your fun,
you’re the queen
of this party,
and for a moment,
i’m grateful
that you made me
the king.

what a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment