Saturday, June 27, 2020

1. why i write

i write for the pain
of feeling like
i’m not doing enough,
for the feeling of being able
to say the words my mouth
won’t let me speak,
and for the thoughts
i can’t unleash
in any other way,
in hopes i’ll see a better day,
push away the rain cloud
that’s held over my head,
i write to heal, to stop the tears
and gain the strength i’m told
a man should have,
yet then again
i write to take a stand,
bring the hammer down
on expectations,
be selfish and take control,
live the way that i want to,
and not how they say
that i should.

i write for the boy 
in the back of the class
who sits in silence,
powerless,
stuck in his ways,
i write for the girl
who’s in her room,
everyone left
and in her hurting,
she needs someone
to stay there with her,
i write in hopes
that i can provide solace 
in someone’s search 
for clarity,
help them in a dark time,
bring the peace
they surely seek.

i write to leave my mark,
to say my piece,
to let my feelings flow
onto the page,
i write to never feel silenced,
i write to find myself a sense
of bravery that they wanted
to take from me,
to become someone,
to know my own self-worth,
to never fade
or be forgotten,
to leave a legacy
and transcend
future generations,
i write to maybe
save a life, 
take an aching soul
and let them know
they aren’t alone,
and inspire others after me
to tell their own stories.

i write to live on.

No comments:

Post a Comment