Saturday, June 27, 2020

5. is my time up?

another day,
i’m surprised i’m alive,
sometimes i’m proud
i made it past 19,
thought i almost
lost my life,
even felt like family
didn’t stay on my side,
i was writing
to make it by,
25 albums,
i’m glad i survived,
and i lost a lot
along the way,
but the poetry
helped me deal
with the pain.

but lately,
i’m feeling reflective.
i look back on all
the work i’ve created,
and i wonder
if my time’s up.
i look to when i wrote
album after album
in less than a month,
take a look now
and i’ve been stuck
on 26 for too long.
wondering if i’ve done
all that i could,
if there’s more to say,
if i ran the gamut
and used up my energy
too early on,
now i’m worried
i won’t stay afloat
with the poems.

they’re gonna make
an example of me,
the perennially
starving artist,
longing to prove
he’s got it in the tank,
but he wasted it,
started with a sprint
when he should’ve jogged,
now the creativity is gone,
with too much to do,
will i make the right moves?
will i push through?
am i going the right way,
or is my future path
one of self-destruction?
will i realize my potential,
or fail to make an impact?

is my time up?

No comments:

Post a Comment