Saturday, June 27, 2020

4. better without me

stuck where i was
so long ago,
thought i’d gotten
out of the rut,
but every time i feel
like i’ve found myself,
i get lost again,
stuck in the endless cycle
of pain and fear,
crushing myself under
the weight of expectations,
making mistakes,
afraid of fate and wishing
for a change,
but everything’s bound
to stay the same.

was it something i said?
did i make them angry?
should i have backed off?
all these thoughts
swirl in my brain,
overthinking the littlest things,
right away,
i fall back into self-hate,
and i don’t want to,
but i can’t shake
that everyone would be
better without me,
and i start to think
of all the people i can’t be,
am i doing enough?
do they want me,
or are they going to leave?

i wonder if you’re reading
these words right now,
if i’m worth it in your eyes,
i ask if you’ll still be here,
checking in when i place
my work out for the rest
of the world to see,
as i scream out in hope
that someone hears,
i ask if my poems will ever
connect or have
emotional impact,
if they’ll make you
come back for more,
or if i’ll be too much
for you to take,
never good enough
to receive your embrace.

i hope i’m enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment