Monday, February 12, 2024

10. hug the people you love and care about a little tighter

emma left yesterday.

no sadder day
than saturday,
i wish you could’ve stayed,
so many more words
you had left to say,
all you wanted
was to make something
of yourself
in some way,
but it’s been taken.

you fought it all,
but the pain
was too much to take,
mama was distraught
at the thought,
because no mom
ever thinks
they’ll be the one
to bury their daughter.

you inspired me
daily,
your passion for your craft
and that brilliant mind
made me want
to get better at mine,
i wouldn’t be
half the man i’ve become
if not for your love,
you’re the only one
i ever thought of,
and i want to make sure
that your story
lives on.

i only wish
you got to be here
to tell that story.

i don’t know
how i’ll go through
these days
without you around,
i still feel like
i see you
somehow,
i don’t know
where you go in the end,
but i hope
you hold my hand
and be my guide,
i hope your soul
never truly dies.

if you see God,
tell Him i said “thanks,”
He and i
don’t see eye to eye,
but if He’s real,
i’m glad He put you
in my life,
the tears
roll down my eyes,
but i know
you’d want me to smile,
remember the good times,
all the joy
and the light of your life,
hallelujah
to the beautiful emma,
i’ll make sure your memory
lives on forever.

mama says she loves you.

No comments:

Post a Comment