Monday, February 12, 2024

8. this is the closest i’ve gotten to putting my screenwriting degree to use

falling back
on old habits,
shutting myself out
in sadness
and ignoring the ones
i shouldn’t be,
and it takes me back,
to a time
of better things.

i just really wish
i could see allie again.

one of my
best friends,
made the bad times good
and the best times better,
we were always together,
so many TMI convos
you confided in me
between the laughs
we shared,
you used to miss home,
it was so far away,
some days,
that jet lag
was too much to take,
but you made
the most of it.

even when
you were homesick,
down in the dumps
because some asshole
stood you up,
you still lit up my day,
remember that time
that you told me,
“i’d totally date you.”

i kinda wish i took you up on that.

i was always
so distracted
by the wrong ones
that i didn’t see
the right one
standing in front of me,
who even knows
if we were meant to be,
but i’d like to believe.

sometimes i wish
i could go back
to that night in her dorm room,
wish i just kissed her then
before she left,
wish i hadn’t been so distant
in the time since,
head wasn’t on straight
and i coped
in the wrong ways.

you’re all i’m thinking of
in this club tonight,
you always loved to party
and i wish i’d joined you
once or twice,
just to know
if the feeling was right,
or just to spend
some more time
with a special person
in my life.

but instead,
i pour my sorrows
into the cup,
dive in and drown,
the alcohol
gives me all
the liquid courage
i could ever need,
but i turn away
anyone that comes up to me,
i tell ‘em
“i’m waiting for allie,”
but i’ll be waiting
‘till the end of time
if i wanna see her again.

i wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment