Monday, November 6, 2023

10. the throne is mine

i heard they said
the poetry king
was dead,
shit got me wondering
when i ever left,
i’ve just been
biding my time,
turns out they’re the ones
i need to remind,
carefully consider
every word and rhyme
because i’m tryna be
the greatest alive,
working the night shift
while they’re sleeping on me,
take the odds,
i’ll keep dreaming,
i already know
they don’t believe in me,
but i got stories
for every season
whenever you need ‘em.

and i pay
my respects
to maya, edgar and plath,
but i’m honestly
tryna be better than that,
i don’t call myself
the “king” for nothing,
i wanna be the best
to ever do it,
i want my words
to live on
when i’m long gone,
i wanna see myself
in the history books
in my next life,
i even found out
i might’ve been
emily dickinson
in a past life,
so maybe i got
a thing or two in common
with hailee
that she might like,
because i got
all my words
pitch perfect
on every poem
i write.

i don’t flex much
but i had to do it
one time
to remind you
that the throne is mine,
realest writer
that you’ll ever find,
yeah, i know i’m a mess
with a complex mind
but my words
are magic
and no one
can tell me otherwise,
i’ve written enough
for a whole lifetime
but i’m still on my grind,
i’m gonna be like nas
when i hit the 5-0,
31 albums down
and i’m still here
with the hits, boy.

this is my story...
i’m doing my own thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment