Friday, September 14, 2018

1. "freedom of the verse"

man, first album…
so many memories here…
mostly bad ones but damn…
how much i’ve grown since then…

september 15th, 1:58 am,
she didn’t want me but i
couldn’t fall out of love,
ran to the notepad and
typed something out,
no rhymes, no rhythm,
just straight thoughts
about love and want,
i was ready to wait
my whole damn life
for her to be ready.
should’ve read the
writing on the wall,
but i fell too deep,
don’t tell me twice
attachment was and
has been my demon.

but what started as
a single piece about
my love for this girl
grew into a bigger
body of work that i
didn’t imagine i’d
make in short time.
just over a month to
write 10 poems for
a full-length album.

i didn’t think so, either.

it wasn’t just about the
crushes and infatuation,
it was an exploration of
hatred and anger, and
a side of me i hadn’t
shared with the world
back then, because i
just seemed like the
happy-go-lucky kid.
“he’s always so sweet,
he loves positivity, too,
is there a negative bone
in that sweet boy’s body?”

truth be told, there is, and
there’s a lot of anxiety, too,
all that and more popped off,
you wouldn’t think about it
but the frustrations grew and
the doubts swirled in my head.
sing along if you know this,
the overthinking occurred.
it was all there and more
on my first body of work,
and i’m still proud of it.
wouldn’t have thought i’d
put out more than that one
back in october of 2017,
but the first one went and
pushed me to keep at it,
work hard and do my best
with all that i’ve been given,
diverse set of poems there,
yeah, the topics were varied,
and while you don’t become
a king off of just one project,
i think i made my argument.

yeah,
freedom of the verse, man…
still special to this day…
gotta love when the album
that gave you your start still
hits hard even after so long…
timeless poetry…timeless…

freedom of the verse.

No comments:

Post a Comment