Friday, September 14, 2018

3. "cooper"

this one…
this’s gonna
hurt a little…
not so easy to
talk about him…

alright, let’s go.

december 18th, real
early in the morning,
mama wakes me up
after minuscule sleep,
she wants me to be
with you for a little.
i wanna sleep more
but she tells me that
it’s time for you to go.
i’m about to spend my
last minutes with you,
our final little cuddle,
the last time i’d pet you,
the last time i could say
“i love you” to your face.
she comes back to me
to take you from my bed,
“bye-bye, puppy” are
the last words i say.

i wish i said more.

i fall back asleep and
i wake up to a text,
mama told me that
heaven opened up
and brought you in.
we spent 12 years
in love and joy, but
now it’s time to go.
i couldn’t do anything
but write that day.
dad cried all day,
bro didn’t love it,
mom hid the pain,
i hid in my room, and
the only way that i
could comfort myself
was to write something
dedicated to you.

and life honestly
feels weird now
without you here.
there’s a new boy
roaming the house,
but he’s not quite as
open as you are,
at least not to me.
he loves mom and pop,
but won’t run to me
like you did before.
know that you’re
never forgotten,
your picture hangs
right above my bed,
so you never leave
my memory ever,
and my love for you
never goes away.

i don’t even have time
for a long ad-lib here…
that one drained me…
i miss you so much, bud…

cooper.

No comments:

Post a Comment